This week was a definite step forward. The lady who gave us a tour and explained the history of the Statues came in for a demo of our application. Andrew Murray took the notes of what changed they would want made. It was interesting seeing her reactions as she checked out different parts of the app.
I had done some testing before the class and was able to give feedback to a few groups. I had a suggestion for Joe to change the way the article viewer works. There are around eight pages to navigate around, but if you are on page 6 when you click back it will bring you back to page 1. I suggested that the app should remember what article you were on and when you click back it will bring you to the same position you left off. There was one suggestion for the Puzzle group that involved the placement of their puzzle pieces.
Overall the app is almost done, and i will be testing out even more before next class, as it is our last class.
WordPress.com is excited to announce our newest offering: a course just for beginning bloggers where you’ll learn everything you need to know about blogging from the most trusted experts in the industry. We have helped millions of blogs get up and running, we know what works, and we want you to to know everything we know. This course provides all the fundamental skills and inspiration you need to get your blog started, an interactive community forum, and content updated annually.
It has definitly been a productive few weeks for our entire team. I had a lot of fun testing out both Beto and Jasons version of the coloring App. I felt bad last week when Tim said he wanted to use Betos version, because i knew how much time Jason put into his version. Thankfully they managed to merge their versions together to make an awesome coloring app.
As for doing testing on the app itself has been fairly productive. I was testing Jasons coloring app and there was an issue that would occur when you tried to change colors/paint brush size. It would highlight the new brush size/mode but it would not actually change on the app. This would only happen if you did it really fast. He was talking about just leaving it and adding a delay timer when a button is selected, but he recently sent out an email saying he fixed that bug which is awesome.
There was also an issue when we updated Joes article layout. All of the buttons on the homepage broke, so the only way to test things was by going directly to the user directories. This is not a problem since Joe said he was going to be redoing the entire layout of our homepage anyway.
The puzzle app is coming along great since they started. All they have left to do is to start the puzzle pieces off of the screen and once they do that we should be ready for polishing.
The first few weeks of this semester i spent my time learning CSS and Basic HTML because i thought my role was going to be to design the homepage. I was very unfamiliar with this sort of code and i did not want to let me classmates down with a terrible homepage. Thankfully Joe presented and his version of the site was 10X better than what i had come up with. This had made me feel like i wasn’t contributing enough to the group because my version of the home page would not be used.
Now i am part of the testing group. Today for the first time i rented out the Ipad from the CS department and started using our “alpha” version of the App.
We are slowly making progress, but in my opinion we are only one feature away from being able to give a working version to the WAM. Currently the Mouse/Swipe does not work with our interactive(Paint, Puzzle) apps. In my opinion these two apps are the most prone to error/bugs and it should be priority to get this feature working so we can get testing.
Unfortunately we were unable to have class this week, but i was able to update my github and get my first chance to actually test something! The coloring group has posted their part of the project and i was very happy with it. One suggestion that i will have for them this upcoming week is the ability to use the “fill” function. I understand people will probably only be using this app for 30 seconds maximum and when you can only use your finger to color i feel you will end up with a big mess. If we implemented the fill option it might lead to more “elegant” results for the kid to show off. I am sure they are aware of this but, but whenever i click on a new statue to color in the screen glitches and shows multiple statues. I will send them an email since we have spring break coming this next week.
Since this storm cancelled our classes we ended up joining an IRC chat involving the whole class. It was very interesting to see everyone’s different aspect/role for the project. As for my current role regarding the Home Page i will be looking forward to our next class time so i can meet with my partner. I think it is about time we start messing around with HTML and getting some basic buttons with functions working. I have never done this before, but i have some resources at my work whom i plan on meeting with to help me get started. Tims design and requests of the homepage seem reasonable.
My name is Andrew Turini. I am in my last year of my Computer Science major at Worcester State. I currently live on campus and spend most of my time out of class/work hanging out with my friends. I have been an intern for the Worcester Public Schools for three years now and i am hoping that i will be hired full-time after i am done with WSU. This course is going to be very interesting because of the large group dynamic and making sure we all have the ability to work together.
I have always wanted to know how to program something that somebody would want to use and i am hoping that once this semester ends i will be able to develop something in my own time.